What Kinds of Losses Does Flood Insurance Protect Against?

Flood insurance is a particular kind of homeowner’s insurance policy designed to protect homeowners in the financial devastation of flood damage to their home. People commonly think that flood insurance covers all losses, but insurance coverage really breaks down what’s insured by the positioning of the damage. Damage to the structure of a residence isn’t treated the exact same way as damage in a cellar or to belongings. Flood insurance spells out what’s covered in each of these areas.

Residential Buildings

Flood insurance covers houses and other dwellings, such as garages, contrary damage. This coverage includes dishwashers, furnaces, drains, water heaters, plumbing fixtures, stoves, ovens and toaster. The coverage also includes roofs, exterior and interior walls, flooring, ceilings, permanent cabinets and fixtures, electrical outlets, vents, lighting fixtures and ceiling fans. The coverage is for direct water damage, mold damage and mudslides. The damage can be caused by river, pond, lake or stream flooding, or coastal flooding such as the storm surge which happens during tropical storms and hurricanes.


National flood insurance insures basements to the extent that the losses are accountable for things normally stored in a cellar. This excludes coverage for furniture, TVs and other electronic equipment that aren’t regarded as part of a regular basement. The coverage is also for the authentic structural elements of the cellar. Including unfinished walls, the foundation insulation, electrical junctions and circuit breaker boxes, central air components, fuel tanks, heat pumps, light fixtures, furnaces and water heaters. Coverage includes the cost of cleanup. Coverage excludes improvements such as flooring and finished walls.

Personal Belongings

Flood insurance covers things inside the house which are declared a loss, including clothing, bedding, furniture, decorative accessories, books, electronic equipment, rugs, curtains, air conditioners, washing machines, clothes dryers, microwave ovens, paintings and photos.

Nonresidential Buildings

Flood insurance coverage for nonresidential buildings is comparable to that for residential structures. Rather than providing full coverage for completed insides, though, it mirrors the coverage provided for the interior of a cellar. This means that structural coverage is only for unfinished drywall on walls and ceilings, and nonflammable insulation. Coverage does not extend to the paint walls and ceilings. Flood loss coverage is also provided for electrical junction and circuit breaker boxes, central air units, light fixtures, permanent closets, foundation and cleanup expenses. Coverage for materials comprises furniture and fixtures, machinery and equipment, raw materials, and unfinished or finished products.

See related